by georgia10My friend, Anton Saurian, is convinced that Iraq will disintegrate and in the process set off World War III. This report, regretably, supports his hypothesis. Will we come to regret Bush's zealotry even more than we ever thought possible?
Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 08:26:47 AM PDT
From Knight Ridder News Service, this sad and disturbing news:
KIRKUK, Iraq - Kurdish leaders have inserted more than 10,000 of their militia members into Iraqi army divisions in northern Iraq to lay the groundwork to swarm south, seize the oil-rich city of Kirkuk and possibly half of Mosul, Iraq's third-largest city, and secure the borders of an independent Kurdistan.
Five days of interviews with Kurdish leaders and troops in the region suggest that U.S. plans to bring unity to Iraq before withdrawing American troops by training and equipping a national army aren't gaining traction. Instead, some troops who are formally under U.S. and Iraqi national command are preparing to protect territory and ethnic and religious interests in the event of Iraq's fragmentation, which many of them think is inevitable.
The soldiers said that while they wore Iraqi army uniforms they still considered themselves members of the Peshmerga -- the Kurdish militia -- and were awaiting orders from Kurdish leaders to break ranks. Many said they wouldn't hesitate to kill their Iraqi army comrades, especially Arabs, if a fight for an independent Kurdistan erupted.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Daily Kos: 10,000 Kurds In Iraqi Army Ready To Fight In Civil War:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
12/25 - 01/01
- The DeLay-Abramoff Money Trail
- (JABBS): Large Numbers Of Americans Remain Ignoran...
- Daily Kos: Torturing children
- CBS News | Billions In 9/11 Loans Botched | Decemb...
- CBS News | White House Web Site Revelation | Decem...
- Police Kill 20 Sudanese Protestors in Cairo - New ...
- Justice Dept. Opens Inquiry Into Leak of Domestic ...
- Zeta Sets A New Record For Named Storms
- The Doomsday Scenario At DOD -- d-u-m
- Daily Kos: British torture memos
- Iraq wants a non-partisan, unbiased opinion on ele...
- CBS News | Ex-Enron Accountant Pleads Guilty |
- Daily Kos: 10,000 Kurds In Iraqi Army Ready To Fig...
- Political Wire: Quote of the Day
- Democrats & Liberals:: Bush's Lewinsky Moment
- Pensito Review » GOP Investigated Pres. Clinton’s ...
- UPI - Bush was denied wiretaps, bypassed them
- Daily Kos: Welcome To ScAlito World: Abortion
- DeLay Appeals To Cronies
- Big Brother Is Watching -- The World!
- ▼ 12/25 - 01/01 (21)
- ► 2003 (7)