And some oil executives are now warning that the current shortages of fuel could become a long-term problem, leading to stubbornly higher prices at the pump.So the latest excuse for ever higher gasoline prices is our planning to use less in the future?!!! The temerity! The hubris! The greed!!!
They point to a surprising culprit: uncertainty created by the government’s push to increase the supply of biofuels like ethanol in coming years.
In his State of the Union address in January, President Bush called for a sharp increase in the use of biofuels, along with some improvement in automobile fuel efficiency to reduce America’s use of gasoline by 20 percent within 10 years. Congress is considering legislation calling for a nearly fivefold increase in the use of ethanol.
That has forced many oil companies to reconsider or scale back their plans for constructing new refinery capacity.
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Oil Industry Says Biofuel Push May Hurt at Pump - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
05/20 - 05/27
- Now I've Heard And Seen Everything
- Say Goodnight, Rudy
- The Next Recess Appointee?
- Feingold: ‘This Is No Time To Back Off’
- It Doesn't Seem To Matter
- BuzzFlash Says It Too
- Why Bush hasn't been impeached
- Why Are We Not Impeaching?!
- Keith O. Gets Down
- The Blog | Russell Shaw: If Bush Said 2+2 Equals F...
- Whose Surge Is It?
- Get Ready For The Other Shoe To Drop
- Well This Sucks!
- Dems Blink On Deadline
- One in every 32 U.S. adults behind bars, on probat...
- By Presidential Decree...
- Escalation Continues In Iraq
- A Travesty Of Justice
- Corporate Greed Knows No Bounds
- More Money Down The Drain
- ▼ 05/20 - 05/27 (21)
- ► 2006 (690)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)