"Ever since the terrorist attacks, the main thing Americans have wanted from Washington is a sense of safety. That takes more than hyperalertness to suicide bombing threats, important as that is. No matter what the terrorists are up to, it is not possible to feel safe if the federal government does not appear to know what it is doing on so many different levels.
Yesterday was an ideal moment for Mr. Bush to demonstrate that he was really in control of his administration. He could have taken any one of a number of pressing worries and demonstrated that he was on the job, re-examining the problems, working on answers. For instance, he could have addressed the crisis facing the overstretched military due to the endless demands made by Iraq on both the Army and the beleaguered National Guard.
The speech came one day after the White House threatened to veto a bill onto which the Senate added a ban on the use of 'cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment' against prisoners of the American government. This president could not find the spine to veto a bloated transportation bill that included wildly wasteful projects like the now-famous 'bridge to nowhere' in Alaska. What kind of priorities does that suggest? If we ever needed the president to demonstrate that he has a working understanding of exactly where he wants to take this country, we need it now.
The president's inability to grow beyond his big moment in 2001 is unnerving. But the fact that his handlers continue to encourage him to milk 9/11 is infuriating. "
Friday, October 07, 2005
President Bush's Major Speech: Doing the 9/11 Time Warp Again - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/02 - 10/09
- Bush plan for flu crisis shows U.S. not ready -NYT...
- DeLay Cries Foul, Wants Charges Dropped
- News Flash: Americans Smarter Than Originally Thou...
- Oh, Okay, Uh, Why Didn't He Just Tell Us?
- The Birds Try To Turn Us Into Dinosaurs
- Doing the 9/11 Time Warp Again - New York Times
- The Waiting Is The Hardest Part
- Could A New Day Be Dawning?
- Finally, Some Good News!
- They Better Not Come Near My Dog!
- Well, D-uh...
- The Clock Is Ticking
- Health News Article | Reuters.com
- Experts: Microbes May Show Mars Has Life - Yahoo! ...
- Mystery Ocean Glow Confirmed in Satellite Photos -...
- US poverty: chronic ill, little hope for cure - Ya...
- He Said, She Said, Blah, Blah, Blah
- Impeach Bush Coalition
- Presstitutes: Bush The Victim
- PERRspectives Blog: Banana Republicans
- The Brouhaha
- Bush Involved In CIA Leak -- Film At Eleven
- "Operation Offset"
- ▼ 10/02 - 10/09 (23)
- ► 2003 (7)