LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14 - Has the American voter's ardor for cutting taxes and shrinking government cooled?
Voters in California, Colorado and Washington State rejected ballot measures this month that would have rolled back tax increases or limited state spending. Some say the votes could mark a turning point in a decades-old revolt against high taxes that got its symbolic start in California in 1978 with Proposition 13, which sharply limited property tax increases for homeowners and cut deeply into state services.
It may be, some analysts suggested, that after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and this year's Gulf Coast hurricanes, Americans saw the value of government investment in infrastructure, public safety and other services and are now more willing to pay for it.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Voters Showed Less Appetite for Tax Cuts - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/13 - 11/20
- Your Government At Work (Big Brother Over-protects...
- A New Record For Atlantic Storms
- Color My Blog
- Newsday.com: Iraqi guards seen as death squads
- Let Them Be Sick And Stupid -- NOT
- Scrooge Recants At FEMA
- The Race Is On
- Finally Getting Serious At The Pentagon?
- Woody Opens New Hole In White House
- What The Hell!?
- The Good Murtha
- WSJ.com - Bush's Approval Rating Falls Again, Poll...
- MyDD :: Democratic Independence Grows
- Is Woody Lying, Too?
- Is That A Lighter In Your Pocket?
- Blunt Not Too Sharp
- Teaching American Business Practices To The Iraqis
- CNN.com - U.S. air cargo still vulnerable to terro...
- Foreign Service Officers File Complaint with GAO; ...
- I Couldn't Keep Up
- Report Says Ex-Chief of Public TV Violated Federal...
- Americans Realizing "You Get What You Pay For?"
- Shakespeare's Sister On Corrupt Elections
- THE BRAD BLOG: "The Staggeringly Impossible Result...
- The New York Review of Books: The End of News?
- firedoglake: Did Rover Roll Over?
- The Biggest Threat Goes Undefended
- What We "Don't Do" Can Kill You
- Asterisks Dot White House's Iraq Argument -- WaPo
- JMM Takes Apart Mehlman Spew
- ▼ 11/13 - 11/20 (31)
- ► 2003 (7)