“I believe that the sectarian violence is probably as bad as I’ve seen it, in Baghdad in particular, and that if not stopped, it is possible that Iraq could move towards civil war,” Gen. John Abizaid, the commander of United States forces in the Middle East, told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
A similarly sobering assessment was offered by Gen. Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who said he can envision the present situation “devolving to a civil war.”
Thursday, August 03, 2006
U.S. Generals See Growing Threat of Civil War in Iraq - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
07/30 - 08/06
- Dems Stand Tall In Face Of Rep Ploy
- Jane And FDL Make The Big Show!
- Rummy Still Drinking The Koolaid
- Hillary Gets Feisty
- Those Welcoming Open Arms Of Appreciation
- Count Alabama As Permanently Red
- Spreading Security Like We Spread Democracy
- Pants Are Smoking At The Pentagon
- Reverse Joe-mentum
- Even The Handpicked Generals Know
- Murtha Was Right
- Cost Of War About To Go Up
- Finally Starting To Get It?
- EPA Follows NASA Into FUBAR-land
- Meanwhile In That Other War...
- Bush Imminentizing The Eschaton?
- She Just Can't Help It
- Return Of Reason In Kansas School Board
- More From The Business-First Government
- Another Way We're "N umber One"
- More Crap From The House Of Republicans
- ▼ 07/30 - 08/06 (21)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)