BERLIN (AP) -- The United States has told the European Union it needs more time to respond to media reports that the CIA set up secret jails in some European nations and transported terror suspects by covert flights, the top EU justice official said Monday.Yeah. It's gonna take us some time to come up with the right story for this one. Rove is busy with other things right now, and Rummy has dyspepsia.
Justice and Home Affairs Commissioner Franco Frattini also warned that any of the 25 bloc nations found to have operated secret CIA prisons could have their EU voting rights suspended.
The Council of Europe -- the continent's main human rights watchdog -- is investigating the allegations, and EU justice official Jonathan Faul last week formally raised the issue with White House and U.S. State Department representatives, Frattini said.
''They told him: 'Give us the appropriate time to evaluate the situation.' Right now, there is no response,'' he said.
Monday, November 28, 2005
Europe May Suspend Nations With Secret Prisons - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/27 - 12/04
- That Culture of Corruption Thing, Again
- Pumping Up The Volume
- At least we can agree on some things
- Hurricane Epsilon establishes new record as 14th h...
- Studies Confirm New Orleans Levees' Flaws
- Alito File Shows Strategy to Curb Abortion Ruling ...
- Louisiana's Levee Inquiry Faults Army Corps - New ...
- Fly CIA And Hope For A Round Trip
- Connecticutt First State To Get Real On Campaign F...
- The "Duke's" Legacy Gathers Weight
- Ahhnold Shows Some Brains And Balls In Chief Of St...
- Pelosi Steps Up To The Plate
- Propaganda Machine At Work In Iraq
- Enron Scandle Still Reverberating Through Industry
- And So It Begins
- Another Opportunity For Brownie?
- The Canadian Solution
- Ex-Powell Aide Criticizes Detainee Effort
- Rove's Secretary Comes Cleaner
- Europe May Suspend Nations With Secret Prisons - N...
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Mapping Approval
- Meanwhile, Back In Afghanistan
- Meet The Next Leader Of Iraq
- ▼ 11/27 - 12/04 (24)
- ► 2003 (7)