WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A former CIA official who coordinated U.S. intelligence on the Middle East during the Iraq invasion accused the White House of misusing prewar intelligence to justify its case for war.
Paul Pillar, who was national intelligence officer for the Near East and South Asia from 2000 to 2005, also said the Senate intelligence committee and a presidential commission overlooked evidence that the Bush administration politicized the intelligence process to support White House policymakers.
'Official intelligence on Iraqi weapons programs was flawed but even with its flaws, it was not what led to the war,' Pillar said in an article written for the March/April issue of Foreign Affairs and posted on the magazine's Web site on Friday.
'If the entire body of official intelligence analysis on Iraq had a policy implication, it was to avoid war -- or, if war was going to be launched, to prepare for a messy aftermath,' he said.
But Pillar, a widely respected intelligence analyst who spent 28 years at the CIA, said it has become clear since the 2003 invasion that the White House did not use official intelligence analysis in making even the most significant national security decisions.
Policymakers instead employed a "cherry-picking" approach that selected pieces of raw intelligence that seemed most favorable to its WMD claims and the charge of a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda.
The White House ignored intelligence reports that said Iraq was not fertile ground for democracy and warned of a long, difficult turbulent post-invasion period that would require a Marshall Plan-type effort to restore the country's economy despite its abundant oil reserves.
Reports also predicted an occupying force would be a target of resentment and attacks including guerrilla warfare.
Friday, February 10, 2006
My Way News:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
02/05 - 02/12
- CIA Whistleblower Finally Blows Whistle
- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is BuzzFlash.com...
- Full House Committee Gets Briefing on Eavesdroppin...
- Republican Who Oversees N.S.A. Calls for Wiretap I...
- Seems Like A Long Time, Seems Like A Mighty Long T...
- US general maps out strategic refit for Iraq, Midd...
- If You're Feeling Safer, Feel Again
- ABC News: Horse Slaughter to Continue Despite Action
- CIA Leak Probe a 'Witch Hunt'?
- Administration Faulted on Katrina
- firedoglake: 02/05/2006 - 02/11/2006
- Still Trying To Gag The Critics And Stem The Truth
- Crooks and Liars: Rove Threatens Any Non-conformin...
- Exclusive: Can the President Order a Killing on U....
- Unbelievable! Or Not.
- Oil Graft Fuels the Insurgency, Iraq and U.S. Say ...
- Mia Culpa: Plame covert status verified -- again.
- ▼ 02/05 - 02/12 (17)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)