The Bush administration's re-characterisation of its 'global war on terror' as the 'long war' will be seen by critics as an admission that the US has started something it cannot finish. But from the Pentagon's perspective, the change reflects a significant upgrading of the 'generational' threat posed by worldwide Islamist militancy which it believes to have been seriously underestimated.The Brits are so good at understatement.
The reassessment, contained in the Pentagon's quadrennial defence review presented to Congress yesterday, presages a new US drive to rally international allies for an ongoing conflict unlimited by time and space. That presents a problematic political, financial and military prospect for many European Nato members including Britain, as well as Middle Eastern governments(emphasis mine).
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Washington digs in for a 'long war' as Rumsfeld issues global call to arms:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
02/05 - 02/12
- CIA Whistleblower Finally Blows Whistle
- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is BuzzFlash.com...
- Full House Committee Gets Briefing on Eavesdroppin...
- Republican Who Oversees N.S.A. Calls for Wiretap I...
- Seems Like A Long Time, Seems Like A Mighty Long T...
- US general maps out strategic refit for Iraq, Midd...
- If You're Feeling Safer, Feel Again
- ABC News: Horse Slaughter to Continue Despite Action
- CIA Leak Probe a 'Witch Hunt'?
- Administration Faulted on Katrina
- firedoglake: 02/05/2006 - 02/11/2006
- Still Trying To Gag The Critics And Stem The Truth
- Crooks and Liars: Rove Threatens Any Non-conformin...
- Exclusive: Can the President Order a Killing on U....
- Unbelievable! Or Not.
- Oil Graft Fuels the Insurgency, Iraq and U.S. Say ...
- Mia Culpa: Plame covert status verified -- again.
- ▼ 02/05 - 02/12 (17)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)