BAGHDAD, Iraq, Feb. 4 — Iraqi and American officials say they are seeing a troubling pattern of government corruption enabling the flow of oil money and other funds to the insurgency and threatening to undermine Iraq's struggling economy.So, the new Iraqi government is corrupt? Where do you think they learned that? No, really. They probably came up with it on their own. It's not like there's a good example around to teach them otherwise.
In Iraq, which depends almost exclusively on oil for its revenues, the officials say that any diversion of money to an insurgency that is killing its citizens and tearing apart its infrastructure adds a new and menacing element to the challenge of holding the country together.
In one example, a sitting member of the Iraqi National Assembly has been indicted in the theft of millions of dollars meant for protecting a critical oil pipeline against attacks and is suspected of funneling some of that money to the insurgency, said Radhi Hamza al-Radhi, the chairman of Iraq's Commission on Public Integrity. The indictment has not been made public.
The charges against the Sunni lawmaker, Meshaan al-Juburi, are far from the only indication that the insurgency is profiting from Iraq's oil riches.
Sunday, February 05, 2006
Oil Graft Fuels the Insurgency, Iraq and U.S. Say - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
02/05 - 02/12
- CIA Whistleblower Finally Blows Whistle
- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is BuzzFlash.com...
- Full House Committee Gets Briefing on Eavesdroppin...
- Republican Who Oversees N.S.A. Calls for Wiretap I...
- Seems Like A Long Time, Seems Like A Mighty Long T...
- US general maps out strategic refit for Iraq, Midd...
- If You're Feeling Safer, Feel Again
- ABC News: Horse Slaughter to Continue Despite Action
- CIA Leak Probe a 'Witch Hunt'?
- Administration Faulted on Katrina
- firedoglake: 02/05/2006 - 02/11/2006
- Still Trying To Gag The Critics And Stem The Truth
- Crooks and Liars: Rove Threatens Any Non-conformin...
- Exclusive: Can the President Order a Killing on U....
- Unbelievable! Or Not.
- Oil Graft Fuels the Insurgency, Iraq and U.S. Say ...
- Mia Culpa: Plame covert status verified -- again.
- ▼ 02/05 - 02/12 (17)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)