WASHINGTON, March 29 — The battle among Republicans over immigration policy and border security is threatening to undercut a decade-long effort by President Bush and his party to court Hispanic voters, just as both parties are gearing up for the 2006 elections.So, let them shoot themselves in the foot over this. If I were a Dem in Congress, I'd be shouting from the rooftops about cuts to education, healthcare, etc. The only way to solve some of the problems that exist, including illegal immigrants, is to eliminate poverty both here and abroad. We could do it, along with some of the other developed nations, if everybody pulled together and gave according to their means; as in: if the rich pitched in with some real money instead of hoovering it up faster than they can spend it! Let's face it, greed runs the world, and it's causing a lot of problems. Only a concerted effort by the majority classes in every nation will break this cycle. We need somebody like a Martin Luther King or Ghandi to inspire the masses and transcend the bullshit. Maybe a few of each, using the internet and, eventually, mass communication once the media is back on track.
'I believe the Republican Party has hurt itself already,' said the Rev. Luis Cortes, a Philadelphia pastor close to President Bush and the leader of a national organization of Hispanic Protestant clergy members, saying he delivered that message to the president last week in a meeting at the White House.
To underscore the contested allegiance of Hispanic voters, Mr. Cortes said, he also took a delegation of Hispanic ministers to meet with the leaders of both parties last week, including what he called a productive discussion with Howard Dean, the Democratic chairman.
Thursday, March 30, 2006
G.O.P. Risking Hispanic Votes on Immigration - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
03/26 - 04/02
- Unclaimed Territory - by Glenn Greenwald: Does the...
- And He Ought To Know!
- And He Ought To Know!
- Firedoglake - Firedoglake weblog » Thoughts on the...
- Former DeLay Aide Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy - Ne...
- Levee Plans Fall Short of FEMA Standards - New Yor...
- John Dean Blasts Warrantless Eavesdropping
- Not So Fast!
- You Think It's Not About Oil?
- Now if They'd Only Do The Same For Oil And Pharmac...
- Reps Dodge And Weave On Immigration
- G.O.P. Risking Hispanic Votes on Immigration - New...
- Senate Approves Lobbying Limits by Wide Margin - N...
- Republican Split on Immigration Reflects Nation's ...
- Teens Arrested in Water Facility Break-In
- Extension of Voting Act Is Likely Despite Criticis...
- Senate Debates Amendment to Ethics Bill
- Just Trying To Make A Buck
- Judges Back Court Review of Eavesdropping
- Fake ID's at the Border Crossings - New York Times...
- Not Quite What We Had in Mind - New York Times
- Supreme Court Questions Military Trials - New York...
- Still No Real Protection From Terrorism
- Shiites Say U.S. Is Pressuring Iraqi Leader to Ste...
- The Founders Never Imagined a Bush Administration
- My Way News - Call for Censuring Bush Boosts Feing...
- Bush Was Set on Path to War, Memo by British Advis...
- Like I Said
- "The Didn't Come Here For Disney."
- Shiite Officials Express Anger Over U.S. Clash Wit...
- ▼ 03/26 - 04/02 (30)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)