In 1965, Congress found 'rampant racial discrimination' in Southern elections, he said. 'By today however, the data simply do not support a similar finding.'Sure, you don't have to be black to be disenfranchised these days. You could be liberal, or gay, or a Democrat, or....
But Adegbile, the NAACP defense fund lawyer, said some provisions in the law are important, especially a section that requires federal approval for election changes.
Adegbile said that in Louisiana alone, the Justice Department has blocked nearly 100 proposed election changes since 1982. The changes, he said, would have diminished or weakened minority voter participation.
The debate continues as election troubles from 2000 and 2004 remain a sore spot for many. Long lines, flawed lists of ineligible voters, faulty ballots and machines - often in predominantly black precincts - were among the problems that plagued the elections.
Friday, March 31, 2006
My Way News - 1965 Voting Rights Provisions to Expire:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
03/26 - 04/02
- Unclaimed Territory - by Glenn Greenwald: Does the...
- And He Ought To Know!
- And He Ought To Know!
- Firedoglake - Firedoglake weblog » Thoughts on the...
- Former DeLay Aide Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy - Ne...
- Levee Plans Fall Short of FEMA Standards - New Yor...
- John Dean Blasts Warrantless Eavesdropping
- Not So Fast!
- You Think It's Not About Oil?
- Now if They'd Only Do The Same For Oil And Pharmac...
- Reps Dodge And Weave On Immigration
- G.O.P. Risking Hispanic Votes on Immigration - New...
- Senate Approves Lobbying Limits by Wide Margin - N...
- Republican Split on Immigration Reflects Nation's ...
- Teens Arrested in Water Facility Break-In
- Extension of Voting Act Is Likely Despite Criticis...
- Senate Debates Amendment to Ethics Bill
- Just Trying To Make A Buck
- Judges Back Court Review of Eavesdropping
- Fake ID's at the Border Crossings - New York Times
- Not Quite What We Had in Mind - New York Times
- Supreme Court Questions Military Trials - New York...
- Still No Real Protection From Terrorism
- Shiites Say U.S. Is Pressuring Iraqi Leader to Ste...
- The Founders Never Imagined a Bush Administration
- My Way News - Call for Censuring Bush Boosts Feingold
- Bush Was Set on Path to War, Memo by British Advis...
- Like I Said
- "The Didn't Come Here For Disney."
- Shiite Officials Express Anger Over U.S. Clash Wit...
- ▼ 03/26 - 04/02 (30)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)