MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - President Vicente Fox paused for a long moment before answering a question on how long it would take Mexico to reach a stage where citizens no longer want to cross the U.S. border to seek work.Of course, the mean salary is much lower than $44,000, but what the heck. It's still lots more than they can get in Mexico. The real solution is to raise the standard of living in Mexico, but who has time to do that when there's so much to do to lower the standard here?
'Generations,' he finally said.
'It's a long way to narrow the gap ... between incomes in Mexico and on the other side of the border,' he said in a recent interview with Reuters.
That income gap is the principal reason why hundreds of thousands of Mexicans cross the border with the U.S. illegally to seek work -- yet it rarely figures in the heated and increasingly emotional debate over immigration now raging in the United States.
Roughly half of Mexico's population lives on less than $5 a day, according to government figures. The U.S. minimum wage is $5.15 an hour. Annual Mexican Gross Domestic Product per capita is just under $7,000. It is almost $44,000 in the United States.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
My Way News: "
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
03/26 - 04/02
- Unclaimed Territory - by Glenn Greenwald: Does the...
- And He Ought To Know!
- And He Ought To Know!
- Firedoglake - Firedoglake weblog » Thoughts on the...
- Former DeLay Aide Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy - Ne...
- Levee Plans Fall Short of FEMA Standards - New Yor...
- John Dean Blasts Warrantless Eavesdropping
- Not So Fast!
- You Think It's Not About Oil?
- Now if They'd Only Do The Same For Oil And Pharmac...
- Reps Dodge And Weave On Immigration
- G.O.P. Risking Hispanic Votes on Immigration - New...
- Senate Approves Lobbying Limits by Wide Margin - N...
- Republican Split on Immigration Reflects Nation's ...
- Teens Arrested in Water Facility Break-In
- Extension of Voting Act Is Likely Despite Criticis...
- Senate Debates Amendment to Ethics Bill
- Just Trying To Make A Buck
- Judges Back Court Review of Eavesdropping
- Fake ID's at the Border Crossings - New York Times
- Not Quite What We Had in Mind - New York Times
- Supreme Court Questions Military Trials - New York...
- Still No Real Protection From Terrorism
- Shiites Say U.S. Is Pressuring Iraqi Leader to Ste...
- The Founders Never Imagined a Bush Administration
- My Way News - Call for Censuring Bush Boosts Feingold
- Bush Was Set on Path to War, Memo by British Advis...
- Like I Said
- "The Didn't Come Here For Disney."
- Shiite Officials Express Anger Over U.S. Clash Wit...
- ▼ 03/26 - 04/02 (30)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)