The Anonymous Liberal: "Because Libby so badly misrepresented the content of the NIE, it is very difficult for the White House to claim that the President authorized the disclosure without also implicating the President in a rather egregious bit of deception. That's why it's important that reporters press the White House on the specifics of Bush's 'declassification' order. Which portions of the NIE did the President want reporters to know about and how did he want those portions to be represented? These are important questions, not just politically but legally. Only the portions of the NIE Bush actually mentioned can even arguably be described as having been declassified.
If reporters do their jobs and press the White House for answers to these questions, they may end up driving a wedge between the White House, on one side, and Libby and Cheney on the other. Up until now, the White House has been very careful not to say anything bad about Libby or to do anything to add to his legal troubles. Their worst fear is that Libby will flip and begin cooperating with Fitzgerald, a move that would spell disaster for the Vice President. But if Libby's testimony continues to cause political headaches for the White House--and it will if reporters continue to connect the dots--we will start to see a noticeable rift develop between the White House and the Vice President's Office. Today's White House spin is the first sign of it."
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
04/09 - 04/16
- Post Not Backing Down On Story
- Uh, Wha?
- Oil And The Deficit
- Your (Republican, Conservative) Congress At Work
- Another General "Defects"
- McCain Courting Iowa Conservatives
- Analysts Say a Nuclear Iran Is Years Away - New Yo...
- And A Little Further East...
- Lenient Rule Set for Rebuilding in New Orleans - N...
- Autopsy Spurs Calls for 9/11 Health Care
- E-Mails Show Abramoff's Donation Leverage
- GOP Leaders Back Down On Immigration
- You Betcha!
- Outside Of The Box?
- Pants On Fire! Pants On Fire!
- More Bad News From Iraq
- Autopsy Links Cop's Death To 9/11 Dust - CBS News
- BushCo's Pants On Fire!
- Amen, Digby! Amen!
- "Pattern of... leaks"
- Bush and Cheney Discussed Plame Prior to Leak
- Bush Knew Niger Claims Were False When He Leaked Them
- Jason Leopold: Bush and Cheney Discussed Plame Pri...
- Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
- Lest We Forget
- It Just Keeps Getting Worse
- Hooray for Maine
- With One Filing, Prosecutor Puts Bush in Spotlight...
- My Way News - Phone-Jamming Records Point to White...
- Tax Cuts on Hold - New York Times
- The "Wonderful Life" Defense
- Why So Many Twisters This Year? - CBS News
- Prosecution Sees Setback at Terror Trial in Califo...
- Bush Admits He Lied To Congress
- Sunnis and Kurds Reject Iraqi Leader's Bid - New Y...
- Democracy in the Arab World, a U.S. Goal, Falters ...
- Across the U.S., Growing Rallies for Immigration -...
- 2 Exit Polls Show Berlusconi Losing
- Would you buy a used car from this man?
- Lawyer: Bush Left Leak Details to Cheney
- This is a wierd one
- ▼ 04/09 - 04/16 (43)
- ► 2005 (385)
- ► 2003 (7)