WASHINGTON - Wanted: Face time withI love watching cronies tie themselves into knots trying to excuse their bosses of blatant wrongdoing or idiocy. Looks like we can look forward to lots of episodes of the Save The Bosses' Ass show in the coming months. It's real must-see TV.
President Bush or top adviser Karl Rove. Suggested donation: $100,000. The middleman: lobbyist Jack Abramoff. Blunt e-mails that connect money and access in Washington show that prominent Republican activist Grover Norquist facilitated some administration contacts for Abramoff's clients while the lobbyist simultaneously solicited those clients for large donations to Norquist's tax-exempt group.
Norquist and Abramoff were longtime associates who went back decades to their days in the Young Republicans movement. Norquist founded ATR to advocate lower taxes and less government. He built it into a major force in the Republican Party as the GOP seized control of Congress and the White House.
Abramoff became one of Washington's rainmaker lobbyists before allegations that he defrauded Indian tribes led to his downfall and a prison sentence. He is cooperating with prosecutors.
Kartch said at the time ATR dealt with Abramoff, it had no idea he was engaged in criminality.
The e-mails show Abramoff, on multiple occasions, asked clients for large donations to Norquist's group while Norquist invited them to ATR events that brought them face to face with top administration officials.
Monday, June 26, 2006
E-mails detail Abramoff requests, contacts - Yahoo! News:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
06/25 - 07/02
- AL Finds Proof For The "I" Word
- It Just Gets Uglier
- A Letter In Salt Lake Tribune Says It All
- Smear-Campaigner Is Child Molestor
- D&L's Paul Siegel Finds The Truth Behind The Story
- It Could Be A Lot Worse
- America Moves Left
- Senate Finds Another Way To Waste Time And Money
- Send In The Expert
- Specter Finally Gets The News
- SCOTUS: Let's See What Else We Can Screw Up
- Florida Lawmakers: Not In Our Back Yard!
- Elm Tree Commits Suicide In Protest Of Bush Enviro...
- Oh, Well, Why Didn't You Say So!?
- Blogosphere Defined
- And Then Some!
- Meanwhile, In A Country Far, Far Away...
- Our Fault The Pigs Rule The Trough?
- E-mails Pin The Tails On The Jackasses
- Another Threat Takes A Step Closer
- A Mighty Oak Grows
- Wake Of The Flood
- ▼ 06/25 - 07/02 (22)
- ► 2005 (384)
- ► 2003 (7)