TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson says he would start a filibuster in the Senate to block a measure on offshore drilling if it passes the House, which is expected to vote on the bill this week.Amazing how some issues can spark a bipartisan response without even trying, isn't it? Too bad the penguins and polar bears don't have representation in Congress.
The bill would end a 25-year ban on drilling off much of the U.S. coastline. It could bring rigs as close as 50 miles from Florida's beaches.
Rising fuel prices have increased support for drilling in environmentally sensitive areas. The bill last week cleared the House Resources Committee 29-9 with bipartisan support.
Nelson and all seven of Florida's House Democrats oppose the measure. They're joined by Florida's Republican Senator, Mel Martinez, and at least four of the state's 18 House Republicans.
A spokesman says Martinez may join Nelson in trying to talk the bill to death if it comes up in the Senate.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
My Way News - Nelson Vows to Filibuster Drilling Bill:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
06/25 - 07/02
- AL Finds Proof For The "I" Word
- It Just Gets Uglier
- A Letter In Salt Lake Tribune Says It All
- Smear-Campaigner Is Child Molestor
- D&L's Paul Siegel Finds The Truth Behind The Story
- It Could Be A Lot Worse
- America Moves Left
- Senate Finds Another Way To Waste Time And Money
- Send In The Expert
- Specter Finally Gets The News
- SCOTUS: Let's See What Else We Can Screw Up
- Florida Lawmakers: Not In Our Back Yard!
- Elm Tree Commits Suicide In Protest Of Bush Enviro...
- Oh, Well, Why Didn't You Say So!?
- Blogosphere Defined
- And Then Some!
- Meanwhile, In A Country Far, Far Away...
- Our Fault The Pigs Rule The Trough?
- E-mails Pin The Tails On The Jackasses
- Another Threat Takes A Step Closer
- A Mighty Oak Grows
- Wake Of The Flood
- ▼ 06/25 - 07/02 (22)
- ► 2005 (384)
- ► 2003 (7)