...Winer said the “disquieting stuff” that troubled Kerry included reports that touch-screen systems had malfunctioned in such a way that voters who tried to vote for Kerry saw their votes switched to Bush. Kerry also was upset with reports that Ohio’s Republican election officials shorted Democratic strongholds on voting machines, Winer said.All the calls for verifiable election counts went unheeded. Looks like we're all paying for that now. (Thanks to Jonathan Schwarz for the headsup.)
In some Democratic precincts, there were complaints that voters waited in line for hours or gave up and went home, while in heavily Republican precincts, there were plenty of voting machines and lines were relatively short.
Democratic activists also cited the disparity between exit polls, which showed Kerry winning by about 3 percentage points nationwide and carrying key swing states, and the official count, which flipped the results giving Bush wins in most swing states and a national popular vote margin of about 3 percent.
Adding to Kerry’s suspicions, Winer said, was the memory of Election 2000 in which Al Gore defeated Bush in the popular vote by more than 500,000 ballots but lost when Bush got five Republicans on the U.S. Supreme Court to stop a recount of votes in Florida.
On “Democracy Now,” Miller said Kerry bent to the will of his campaign advisers to concede, even though his vice presidential running mate, John Edwards, favored holding out until more information was in.
Based on reporting for Fooled Again, Miller said Kerry told Edwards in a phone call that Shrum and other advisers insisted that a concession was the best course. “They say that if I don’t pull out, they (Kerry’s political opponents) are going to call us sore losers,” Miller said, recounting the substance of Kerry’s phone call to Edwards.
Miller said Edwards responded, “So what if they call us sore losers?” But Kerry pressed ahead with his decision to concede.
Winer, who is now a private attorney with a specialty in information security, said it’s conceivable that electronic balloting was hacked in Election 2004 but that – without a credible witness confessing – there is little hope to prove it.
“There are systems for one-time use that erase themselves afterwards,” Winer said. “You’d have to have a confession and anyone who would confess would look psychotic.”
Kerry, too, appears to have weighed how he would look if he made accusations about possible hi-tech hijinks affecting the outcome of a presidential election. Pundits surely would have put him on the couch as a delusional conspiracy theorist.
But Kerry’s decision not to fight has left millions of Americans wondering if their democratic birthright has been stolen – along with the last two presidential elections.
Monday, November 07, 2005
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/06 - 11/13
- More Flies In The Web
- Senate Approves Limiting Rights of U.S. Detainees
- Iraq Blowback Gathers Steam
- Going Down, Down, Down
- Clinton Zings Republican Congressmen
- McCain Bats .500
- Haliburton Diversifies lts Portfolio Of Dubious Bu...
- Criminal Probe Set for New Orleans Levees
- Wired News: No Fed Security Laws, Hurrah!!
- Al Franken For President!
- Roe v. Wade Attorney Leaning Against Alito
- Rice Defends (?) Prisoner Treatment
- Alito Ethically Challenged
- Frist Doesn't Care About Torture Prisons (or tortu...
- Times Reporter Agrees to Leave the Paper - New Yor...
- Abramoff Set Up Prez Meeting For Bongo
- "They left me to die."
- It Just Gets Better
- Well Done!
- Coffee drinking not linked with high blood pressur...
- Robert Scheer: Who's the Girlie Man Now?
- WTO Having Its Problems As Well
- Bush Not The Only One Taking The Hit
- Miller resigns from New York Times
- More Good News
- The Consequences of Covering Up
- EFF: Online Policy Group v. Diebold, Inc.
- Expected, And Sad
- Hark, I Hear The Elephants Whine
- Inquiry to Seek Cause of Levee Failure - New York ...
- Yes, Yessss!!!
- Condi Doesn't Deny Secret Prisons
- Daily Kos: Trent Lott says GOP Senator guilty of l...
- Let's Fire Up The Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody!
- Just For The Record
- A Different Kind Of Leak Investigation
- Regime Change, Part Deux?
- Former Serb Red Berets in Iraq
- Still Under Investigation
- Senators say Alito respects Roe decision
- Wired News: FBI Pushing Patriot Act Powers
- Fox News Biased?
- Texas Judicial System: A Model For Corruption
- They Burn Civilians, Don't They?
- 11/7/2005 Statement by Congressman George Miller R...
- More Robbing From Poor And Giving To Rich
- Dems Get Tough By Going Bi-partisan?
- Kerry Thinks '04 Election Stolen (He's Not The Onl...
- No Decision = Win
- It Won't Be Pretty
- Bush Insults Americans' Intelligence
- And Lest We Forget
- ▼ 11/06 - 11/13 (53)
- ► 2003 (7)