WASHINGTON, Nov. 10 - The Senate voted Thursday to strip captured 'enemy combatants' at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, of the principal legal tool given to them last year by the Supreme Court when it allowed them to challenge their detentions in United States courts.So, if you don't like what the Supreme Court decides, just pass a law to fix it? Isn't that going against constitutional law, not to mention international law? Wouldn't this require an amendment to the Constitution? I guess I have a lot to learn about U.S. jurisprudence, but it sure smells like manure to me.
The vote, 49 to 42, on an amendment to a military budget bill by Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, comes at a time of intense debate over the government's treatment of prisoners in American custody worldwide, and just days after the Senate passed a measure by Senator John McCain banning abusive treatment of them.
Friday, November 11, 2005
Senate Approves Limiting Rights of U.S. Detainees - New York Times:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/06 - 11/13
- More Flies In The Web
- Senate Approves Limiting Rights of U.S. Detainees
- Iraq Blowback Gathers Steam
- Going Down, Down, Down
- Clinton Zings Republican Congressmen
- McCain Bats .500
- Haliburton Diversifies lts Portfolio Of Dubious Bu...
- Criminal Probe Set for New Orleans Levees
- Wired News: No Fed Security Laws, Hurrah!!
- Al Franken For President!
- Roe v. Wade Attorney Leaning Against Alito
- Rice Defends (?) Prisoner Treatment
- Alito Ethically Challenged
- Frist Doesn't Care About Torture Prisons (or tortu...
- Times Reporter Agrees to Leave the Paper - New Yor...
- Abramoff Set Up Prez Meeting For Bongo
- "They left me to die."
- It Just Gets Better
- Well Done!
- Coffee drinking not linked with high blood pressur...
- Robert Scheer: Who's the Girlie Man Now?
- WTO Having Its Problems As Well
- Bush Not The Only One Taking The Hit
- Miller resigns from New York Times
- More Good News
- The Consequences of Covering Up
- EFF: Online Policy Group v. Diebold, Inc.
- Expected, And Sad
- Hark, I Hear The Elephants Whine
- Inquiry to Seek Cause of Levee Failure - New York ...
- Yes, Yessss!!!
- Condi Doesn't Deny Secret Prisons
- Daily Kos: Trent Lott says GOP Senator guilty of l...
- Let's Fire Up The Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody!
- Just For The Record
- A Different Kind Of Leak Investigation
- Regime Change, Part Deux?
- Former Serb Red Berets in Iraq
- Still Under Investigation
- Senators say Alito respects Roe decision
- Wired News: FBI Pushing Patriot Act Powers
- Fox News Biased?
- Texas Judicial System: A Model For Corruption
- They Burn Civilians, Don't They?
- 11/7/2005 Statement by Congressman George Miller R...
- More Robbing From Poor And Giving To Rich
- Dems Get Tough By Going Bi-partisan?
- Kerry Thinks '04 Election Stolen (He's Not The Onl...
- No Decision = Win
- It Won't Be Pretty
- Bush Insults Americans' Intelligence
- And Lest We Forget
- ▼ 11/06 - 11/13 (53)
- ► 2003 (7)