ROME (Reuters) - U.S. forces in Iraq have used incendiary white phosphorus against civilians and a firebomb similar to napalm against military targets, Italian state-run broadcaster RAI reported on Tuesday.Once again, our side hides behind subterfuge and technicality, while innocent people die. We are so going to regret this war!
A RAI documentary showed images of bodies recovered after a November 2004 offensive by U.S. troops on the town of Falluja, which it said proved the use of white phosphorus against men, women and children who were burned to the bone.
'I do know that white phosphorus was used,' said Jeff Englehart in the RAI documentary, which identified him as a former soldier in the U.S. 1st Infantry Division in Iraq.
The U.S. military says white phosphorus is a conventional weapon and says it does not use any chemical arms.
An incendiary device, white phosphorus is used by the military to conceal troop movements with smoke, mark targets or light up combat areas. The use of incendiary weapons against civilians has been banned by the Geneva Convention since 1980.
The United States did not sign the relevant protocol to the convention, a U.N. official in New York said.
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
My Way News:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
11/06 - 11/13
- More Flies In The Web
- Senate Approves Limiting Rights of U.S. Detainees
- Iraq Blowback Gathers Steam
- Going Down, Down, Down
- Clinton Zings Republican Congressmen
- McCain Bats .500
- Haliburton Diversifies lts Portfolio Of Dubious Bu...
- Criminal Probe Set for New Orleans Levees
- Wired News: No Fed Security Laws, Hurrah!!
- Al Franken For President!
- Roe v. Wade Attorney Leaning Against Alito
- Rice Defends (?) Prisoner Treatment
- Alito Ethically Challenged
- Frist Doesn't Care About Torture Prisons (or tortu...
- Times Reporter Agrees to Leave the Paper - New Yor...
- Abramoff Set Up Prez Meeting For Bongo
- "They left me to die."
- It Just Gets Better
- Well Done!
- Coffee drinking not linked with high blood pressur...
- Robert Scheer: Who's the Girlie Man Now?
- WTO Having Its Problems As Well
- Bush Not The Only One Taking The Hit
- Miller resigns from New York Times
- More Good News
- The Consequences of Covering Up
- EFF: Online Policy Group v. Diebold, Inc.
- Expected, And Sad
- Hark, I Hear The Elephants Whine
- Inquiry to Seek Cause of Levee Failure - New York ...
- Yes, Yessss!!!
- Condi Doesn't Deny Secret Prisons
- Daily Kos: Trent Lott says GOP Senator guilty of l...
- Let's Fire Up The Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody!
- Just For The Record
- A Different Kind Of Leak Investigation
- Regime Change, Part Deux?
- Former Serb Red Berets in Iraq
- Still Under Investigation
- Senators say Alito respects Roe decision
- Wired News: FBI Pushing Patriot Act Powers
- Fox News Biased?
- Texas Judicial System: A Model For Corruption
- They Burn Civilians, Don't They?
- 11/7/2005 Statement by Congressman George Miller R...
- More Robbing From Poor And Giving To Rich
- Dems Get Tough By Going Bi-partisan?
- Kerry Thinks '04 Election Stolen (He's Not The Onl...
- No Decision = Win
- It Won't Be Pretty
- Bush Insults Americans' Intelligence
- And Lest We Forget
- ▼ 11/06 - 11/13 (53)
- ► 2003 (7)