"Teddy explained in 1918 that the president is merely the most important among a large number of public servants, and:
'He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able and disinterested service to the nation as a whole.
'Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile.
'To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or anyone else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else.'"
Sunday, October 16, 2005
Kung Fu Monkey:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/16 - 10/23
- Beached Party
- Fitzgerald Has Web Site Up And Running!
- A Palpable Silence at the White House
- Times: Miller May Have Misled Editors
- The Suspense Is Killing Me
- Bird Flu Getting Closer
- Frist Donated to Campaign After HCA Sale | Democra...
- Firedoglake Rules
- Fitzgerald Got Report On Forged Niger Uranium Docu...
- Yee-haaa! Go Dennis, Go!
- DeLay Delays With Two-Step Shuffle By Lawyers
- And Then He Had To Go Out And Buy Shoes...
- Fire In Rove's Pants
- Defense lawyer in Saddam case abducted and killed
- Majikthise : There has never been a hurricane like...
- Chertoff Says FEMA's Lack of Planning to Blame
- Bush whacked Rove on CIA leak
- New York Daily News - World & National Report - Pr...
- Wilma Sets Barometric Pressure Record
- Army Guard Short of Equipment at Home
- Guess He Didn't Get The Memo
- Iraq Now A Grad School For Terrorists
- The Wolves Are Circling...(heh-heh!)
- Did Bush Lie To Fitz?
- Agent Reinstated After 9/11 Criticism
- Insider Helping With Traitor-gate Investigation
- Wilma strongest hurricane on record!
- Oh, Crap!
- Leak Discrepancy Effect Unclear
- Report: Fitzgerald Focusing On Direct Cheney Invol...
- Think Progress » Fox News Pushing “Criminalization...
- Incorrect Info To Help (Or Hinder) CIA Leak Invest...
- The Talent Show: Rule of Law?
- Abramoff investigation has GOP holding its breath
- Dobson Was Told Meiers Would Overturn Roe v. Wade
- How a Lobbyist Stacked the Deck
- An Open Blog To Bill O'Reilly From Theodore Roosevelt
- Think Progress » Rice: After 9-11 “We Could Decide...
- Life during wartime » Third Country Nationals
- What's A Little Human Trafficking Among Friends?
- New Questions Arise in CIA Leak Probe
- ▼ 10/16 - 10/23 (41)
- ► 2003 (7)