"'What the Democrats are saying essentially is, enough is enough. It's time to determine the facts and to hold the president accountable for the miscalculations, misjudgments and misrepresentations,' said Steve McMahon, a Democratic consultant.
In coming weeks, House Democrats, led by Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, plan to force the House to consider a Senate-approved ban on the "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment" of prisoners in U.S. custody. Members of both parties expect the House to side with the Senate, despite a White House veto threat.
A former Marine who served in Vietnam, Murtha rarely makes such public moves. But when the conservative Democrat speaks on military issues, colleagues tend to listen.
Murtha said Thursday that he has grown so concerned about some of the president's war policies that he plans a speech laying out his recommendations for the war before the Dec. 15 parliamentary elections in Iraq.
'This war is destroying our ability to meet the threat down the road,' Murtha said."
Saturday, November 05, 2005
My Way News:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/30 - 11/06
- GAO Report Supports Premise That Ohio Electoral Vo...
- No Wonder They Didn't Want A Recount
- Washington Post Examines Former FDA Head Crawford'...
- Yet Another Indictment Of Yet Another Crony Coming?
- Better Late Than Never?!
- DeLay Judge Stays -- for now?
- Stating The Obvious Isn't Easy In Washington
- For The Rich To Get Richer, The Poor Must Get Screwed
- Daily Kos: Shameless. Absolutely Shameless.
- SISMI Was Gooey With Yello Cake
- SCOTUS as political institution?
- Californians Consider Abortion Limits - New York T...
- Can DeLay Get A Fair Trial?
- At Least Nero Played The Fiddle
- DeLay Asked Lobbyist to Raise Money Through Charit...
- Europe Looking Into Report of C.I.A. Jails - New Y...
- The Smell Of Another "Axis Of Evil"
- Hooray For OH
- Salon.com News | Abramoff-Scanlon School of Sleaze
- Well, Oh Yeah!?
- Iraq Asks Return of Some Officers of Hussein Army ...
- Another Money-Laundering Scheme -- this time for Bush
- The Blog | Lawrence O'Donnell: The One Very Good R...
- CBS News | Poll: More Bad News For Bush | November...
- CBS News | Bush's Job Approval Hits New Low | Nove...
- Not Guilty By Reason Of Cronyism
- DeLay's Staff Tried To Help Abramoff
- Debate rages on use of cervical cancer vaccine / W...
- The Real Power Behind The Throne?
- Flash: Lobbyists Sometimes Lying Crooks
- Any Questions?
- Sure Looks Like It
- America, The Torturer
- Martial Law, Anyone?
- Another War, Anyone?
- Finally, Outrage For A Cause
- AlterNet: Blogs: Rachel Neumann: Want to talk ugly?
- In Case You Were Keeping Score
- Methodist Court Removes Openly Lesbian Minister - ...
- Protect Who?
- And Now For Something Completely Indifferent
- Here We Go Again
- ▼ 10/30 - 11/06 (45)
- ► 2003 (7)