Methodist Court Removes Openly Lesbian Minister - New York Times:
"In a pair of decisions that bolstered conservatives, the highest court of the United Methodist Church defrocked an openly lesbian minister yesterday and reinstated a pastor who had been suspended for refusing to allow a gay man to become a member of his congregation."
Gays have become the last minority, the last "acceptable" target of bigotry and fear. It's very sad that the churches, who claim to follow the teachings of a man who embraced the outcasts of his society, participate in this frenzy of hate. Just as people of "faith" cheerlead for war and promote the death penalty, they single out gays as being unclean. It's as bad as shooting doctors to stop abortions. It's totally irrational, and totally wrong, and yet somehow these fundamentals think it's moral.
Simple common sense would suffice to tell you that people don't choose their sexuality any more than they choose the color of skin or eyes they are born with. People don't choose to be poor, or alcoholic, or diabetic. They don't choose where and when to be born or to whom.
But they do choose to be socially responsible or morally compromised. They choose whether to be greedy or generous. They choose whether to help others or look the other way.
People probably don't choose to be homophobic or racist or bigoted. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. But to use the trappings of religion or patriotism to excuse such behavior is reprehensible. Hate is a learned behavior. No one is born a hater. This would indicate it can be unlearned, though I'm beginning to have my doubts this is true in all cases.
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/30 - 11/06
- GAO Report Supports Premise That Ohio Electoral Vo...
- No Wonder They Didn't Want A Recount
- Washington Post Examines Former FDA Head Crawford'...
- Yet Another Indictment Of Yet Another Crony Coming?
- Better Late Than Never?!
- DeLay Judge Stays -- for now?
- Stating The Obvious Isn't Easy In Washington
- For The Rich To Get Richer, The Poor Must Get Screwed
- Daily Kos: Shameless. Absolutely Shameless.
- SISMI Was Gooey With Yello Cake
- SCOTUS as political institution?
- Californians Consider Abortion Limits - New York T...
- Can DeLay Get A Fair Trial?
- At Least Nero Played The Fiddle
- DeLay Asked Lobbyist to Raise Money Through Charit...
- Europe Looking Into Report of C.I.A. Jails - New Y...
- The Smell Of Another "Axis Of Evil"
- Hooray For OH
- Salon.com News | Abramoff-Scanlon School of Sleaze
- Well, Oh Yeah!?
- Iraq Asks Return of Some Officers of Hussein Army ...
- Another Money-Laundering Scheme -- this time for Bush
- The Blog | Lawrence O'Donnell: The One Very Good R...
- CBS News | Poll: More Bad News For Bush | November...
- CBS News | Bush's Job Approval Hits New Low | Nove...
- Not Guilty By Reason Of Cronyism
- DeLay's Staff Tried To Help Abramoff
- Debate rages on use of cervical cancer vaccine / W...
- The Real Power Behind The Throne?
- Flash: Lobbyists Sometimes Lying Crooks
- Any Questions?
- Sure Looks Like It
- America, The Torturer
- Martial Law, Anyone?
- Another War, Anyone?
- Finally, Outrage For A Cause
- AlterNet: Blogs: Rachel Neumann: Want to talk ugly?
- In Case You Were Keeping Score
- Methodist Court Removes Openly Lesbian Minister - ...
- Protect Who?
- And Now For Something Completely Indifferent
- Here We Go Again
- ▼ 10/30 - 11/06 (45)
- ► 2003 (7)