"Some of the GAO’s findings are: 1. Some electronic voting machines “did not encrypt cast ballots or system audit logs, and it was possible to alter both without being detected.” In short, the machines; provided a way to manipulate the outcome of the election. In Ohio, more than 800,000 votes were cast on electronic voting machines, some registered seven times Bush’s official margin of victory.This has the be the biggest under-reported story of the century. I remember some reports of "irregularities" in the days following the election, but nothing seemed to come of it. Looks like the GAO doesn't forget. God bless 'em.
2: the report further stated that: “it was possible to alter the files that define how a ballot looks and works, so that the votes for one candidate could be recorded for a different candidate.” Very many sworn statements and affidavits claim that did happen in Ohio in 2004.
Next, the report says, “Vendors installed uncertified versions of voting system software at the local level.” The GAO found that falsifying election results without leaving evidence of doing so by using altered memory cards could easily be done.
The GAO additionally found that access to the voting network was very easy to compromise because not all electronic voting systems had supervisory functions protected by password. That meant access to one machine gave access to the whole network. That critical finding showed that rigging the election did not take a “widespread conspiracy” but simply the cooperation of a small number of operators with the power to tap into the networked machines. They could thus alter the vote totals at will. It therefore was no big task for a single programmer to flip vote numbers to give Bush the 118,775 votes."
Saturday, November 05, 2005
Rockford's Newspaper Rock River Times | rockford illinois news information:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/30 - 11/06
- GAO Report Supports Premise That Ohio Electoral Vo...
- No Wonder They Didn't Want A Recount
- Washington Post Examines Former FDA Head Crawford'...
- Yet Another Indictment Of Yet Another Crony Coming?
- Better Late Than Never?!
- DeLay Judge Stays -- for now?
- Stating The Obvious Isn't Easy In Washington
- For The Rich To Get Richer, The Poor Must Get Screwed
- Daily Kos: Shameless. Absolutely Shameless.
- SISMI Was Gooey With Yello Cake
- SCOTUS as political institution?
- Californians Consider Abortion Limits - New York T...
- Can DeLay Get A Fair Trial?
- At Least Nero Played The Fiddle
- DeLay Asked Lobbyist to Raise Money Through Charit...
- Europe Looking Into Report of C.I.A. Jails - New Y...
- The Smell Of Another "Axis Of Evil"
- Hooray For OH
- Salon.com News | Abramoff-Scanlon School of Sleaze
- Well, Oh Yeah!?
- Iraq Asks Return of Some Officers of Hussein Army ...
- Another Money-Laundering Scheme -- this time for Bush
- The Blog | Lawrence O'Donnell: The One Very Good R...
- CBS News | Poll: More Bad News For Bush | November...
- CBS News | Bush's Job Approval Hits New Low | Nove...
- Not Guilty By Reason Of Cronyism
- DeLay's Staff Tried To Help Abramoff
- Debate rages on use of cervical cancer vaccine / W...
- The Real Power Behind The Throne?
- Flash: Lobbyists Sometimes Lying Crooks
- Any Questions?
- Sure Looks Like It
- America, The Torturer
- Martial Law, Anyone?
- Another War, Anyone?
- Finally, Outrage For A Cause
- AlterNet: Blogs: Rachel Neumann: Want to talk ugly?
- In Case You Were Keeping Score
- Methodist Court Removes Openly Lesbian Minister - ...
- Protect Who?
- And Now For Something Completely Indifferent
- Here We Go Again
- ▼ 10/30 - 11/06 (45)
- ► 2003 (7)