"Republican Administrative Judge B.B. Schraub had been named earlier Thursday to select a new presiding judge after Perkins was removed, but he withdrew at the request of Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle because of his political contributions to GOP candidates.I mean, can Texas come up with anybody not tainted by the scandal being tried? I know it's a big place, but it seems like DeLay spread the corruption around in a really big way.
Schraub then asked state Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson to name the new judge and Jefferson selected Priest.
But at about the same time, the district attorney asked that Jefferson, too, to withdraw from the process. Earle's office had no immediate comment Friday on the selection of Priest or what the next step would be.
Jefferson's 2002 campaign treasurer, Bill Ceverha, was treasurer of DeLay's Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee, according to state documents examined by The Associated Press.
The PAC is a co-defendant in DeLay's case and Ceverha was a defendant this spring in a civil trial brought by Democrats who lost state legislative races to Republicans in 2002.
Jefferson also was elected to his seat with the help of a $25,000 donation from the Republican National State Elections Committee, a group at the heart of the money laundering charge against DeLay.
He also received $2,000 from a DeLay-run PAC whose executive director is a co-defendant."
Friday, November 04, 2005
My Way News:
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (92)
- ► 2010 (20)
- ► 2009 (8)
- ► 2008 (78)
- ► 2007 (328)
- ► 2006 (690)
10/30 - 11/06
- GAO Report Supports Premise That Ohio Electoral Vo...
- No Wonder They Didn't Want A Recount
- Washington Post Examines Former FDA Head Crawford'...
- Yet Another Indictment Of Yet Another Crony Coming?
- Better Late Than Never?!
- DeLay Judge Stays -- for now?
- Stating The Obvious Isn't Easy In Washington
- For The Rich To Get Richer, The Poor Must Get Screwed
- Daily Kos: Shameless. Absolutely Shameless.
- SISMI Was Gooey With Yello Cake
- SCOTUS as political institution?
- Californians Consider Abortion Limits - New York T...
- Can DeLay Get A Fair Trial?
- At Least Nero Played The Fiddle
- DeLay Asked Lobbyist to Raise Money Through Charit...
- Europe Looking Into Report of C.I.A. Jails - New Y...
- The Smell Of Another "Axis Of Evil"
- Hooray For OH
- Salon.com News | Abramoff-Scanlon School of Sleaze
- Well, Oh Yeah!?
- Iraq Asks Return of Some Officers of Hussein Army ...
- Another Money-Laundering Scheme -- this time for Bush
- The Blog | Lawrence O'Donnell: The One Very Good R...
- CBS News | Poll: More Bad News For Bush | November...
- CBS News | Bush's Job Approval Hits New Low | Nove...
- Not Guilty By Reason Of Cronyism
- DeLay's Staff Tried To Help Abramoff
- Debate rages on use of cervical cancer vaccine / W...
- The Real Power Behind The Throne?
- Flash: Lobbyists Sometimes Lying Crooks
- Any Questions?
- Sure Looks Like It
- America, The Torturer
- Martial Law, Anyone?
- Another War, Anyone?
- Finally, Outrage For A Cause
- AlterNet: Blogs: Rachel Neumann: Want to talk ugly?
- In Case You Were Keeping Score
- Methodist Court Removes Openly Lesbian Minister - ...
- Protect Who?
- And Now For Something Completely Indifferent
- Here We Go Again
- ▼ 10/30 - 11/06 (45)
- ► 2003 (7)